Oracle SQL Developer Review

Many of the small features are the biggest time-savers, such as persistent highlighting of rows or cells in the data grid.

What is most valuable?

I noticed that many of the small features are the biggest time-savers like:

• ‘Copy Selected Column Header(s)’ in the data grid
  • Persistent highlighting of rows or cells in the data grid
  • Search-and-replace with its smart options
  • History (of statements and files)
  • Splitting windows and document groups, pinning

Personally, being a nosey person, I love the Statements-Log Window, which shows every command SQL Developer sends to the database.

I have used it for three years.

Deployment was the easiest I ever encountered:

1. Unzip
  2. Optional: find ide.conf, set the language to ‘en’
  3. Optional: change NLS settings
  4. Ready

Version 4.1.3 64-bit is very stable.

I had some problems with an older version freezing several times a week, but that was about two years ago and has hardly ever happened since.

Technical support is excellent. There’s the fast track via Twitter, but most of the time, I found the answer on Jeff Smith’s blog or Oracle Tech Net (OTN) before making a fool of myself by asking. Jeff has solved many of my problems “by unsent messages”. ;-)

You get very fast support on OTN or Twitter.

In different projects, I used to use TOAD and PL/SQL Developer.
One of my customers decided he didn’t want to spend any money on tools, so SQL Developer was my choice... I guess I have to be grateful :)

Initial setup was very easy, see above.

I tried Raptor ages ago (and didn’t like it at all), but now I am a converted SQL Developer enthusiast.

What other advice do I have?

Read Jeff Smith’s blog. If you think a feature should be there, investigate. Quite likely, it’s already there; maybe you just overlooked it. If it’s not, open a feature request at sqldeveloper.oracle.com. Learn a handful of shortcuts (or two), it will improve your efficiency enormously.

More Oracle SQL Developer reviews from users