Oracle SQL Developer Review

This product is delivered at no cost to us as Oracle users. We even have non-tech, functional users installing it on their own with only a little guidance from us.

What is most valuable?

• The code editor
  • The tree view
  • The debugger
  • The support available for the product

How has it helped my organization?

Because I work in higher education, and budget dollars are always limited, the fact that this product is delivered at no cost to us as Oracle users is phenomenal. Only a small fraction of our in-house staff are using another solution to write code that affects our student information system (SIS). IT staff supporting the SIS could not do our jobs without SQL Developer.

What needs improvement?

Since the upgrade to 4.1.5, I have noticed improvement in functionality. I'm not freezing up any longer.

I have used it since 2011.

Deployment is VERY easy. We even have non-tech, functional users installing on their own with only a little guidance from us.

The product is very stable - no issues with version 4.1.5

Personally, the product scales to my needs.

10+

Technical support is EXCELLENT. Both Jeff Smith and Kris Rice are extremely responsive and helpful for issues/questions, etc.

When I first started working with Oracle, It was on a third-party product that my institution purchased. I was using the SQL Worksheet inside OEM to query the database for that one-off product. Once our whole SIS went to Oracle, and we all began using SQL Developer, it was like night and day. HUGE difference.

Our DBA has created a directory on a shared drive that we can simply drag and drop SQL Developer onto local machines from; she's made it very simple for us. But I have also installed right from oracle.com and it's really easy.

An in-house team implemented it.

SQL Dev is free; not sure of what Temple pays for Oracle licensing annually.

Before choosing this product, the institution probably did evaluate other options - but I was not involved in the decision making. Assuming we went with "the free one" which met our needs well, and that's why we chose SQL Dev.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate and, to get the most out of the product, explore some of the free online tutorials and webinars around using the product. For example, lots of great info at www.thatjeffsmith.com.