Oracle SQL Developer Review

The Data Modeler helps me, and the Data Pump wizard relieves the developer from writing code.

What is most valuable?

This open-source GUI is feature-rich software. If I have to choose one most valuable feature, then I will definitely go with the Data Modeler feature. Modeling the structure of all the data and database objects along with their attributes has always been a challenging and time consuming task. Data modeling always helped me with several projects by being able to draw objects in the plane in no time.

Another interesting feature of SQL Developer is Data Pump. It makes exporting and importing data easier. The wizard form for Data Pump relieves the developer from writing a whole chunk of code, which is a huge relief.

How has it helped my organization?

As a database trainer, I would like to say that although SQL developer is an open-source software, yet it provides a lot of features that you can find only in paid versions of its counterparts. It is lightweight; hence, it takes up less memory space, which makes it more efficient and faster. Furthermore, it has an easy installation process that leads to the company spending less time and money on lengthy trainings for its employees; just a refresher course is enough! This single software can connect with other databases provided by different vendors such as Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL, etc.

What needs improvement?

While working with Data Pump, I have faced a few problems. For example, sometimes it won’t let me change the set file type. Although this was not that big of an issue, yet I think that the Data Pump feature could be further improved.

I have been using SQL Developer for the last three years on a daily basis.

Till now, I haven’t faced any stability issues while working with SQL Developer.

To be frank, I haven’t had the chance to evaluate this software with respect to its scalability.

I didn’t get a chance to talk with technical support because whenever I faced any problem, I just tweeted about it and got the solution from the community. So, a great many thanks to them for helping me out!

I often switch between SQL Developer and TOAD for Oracle depending on their suitability regarding the project that I am working on.

The initial setup was very simple. I just had to download and extract the files. That’s all!

It is an open-source software available for free from Oracle Corporation so no issues with pricing and licensing.

I evaluated TOAD for Oracle, but after using SQL Developer, I kind of grew a liking towards the latter.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great open-source software, power packed with features. The initial setup is simple, which means less mess in terms of training the employees. Moreover, it is fairly stable which makes it a wonderful choice.

4.1.5