Oracle SQL Developer Review

Helps me streamline and unify my approach for different customers

What is our primary use case?

I usually use SQL Developer for tuning and analyzing databases, to visualise results, create simple reports and to simplify work by using simple scripts.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes life easier because I don't need to install something onsite when I am with a customer. And, since it's free, it helps me to unify and streamline my approach over multiple projects so I don't have to have a different approach for different customers.

The new version 18 is really helpful, with a more flexible GUI and more reliable connectors.

What is most valuable?

I like it because it's very similar in output to SQL *Plus, and it has many convenience features that make it easier to read the data and use the basic reporting features it provides.

What needs improvement?

I think it would be great to have an overview over the sessions it opens so that we could easily see and control which connections to the database we want to keep open, which ones are hanging; and it would be great to make them independent from each other.

More than five years.

The stability of SQL Developer has greatly improved. In the latest versions, it has been getting better and better. Nowadays, you can use it without thinking about it.

Scalability has room for improvement. Often if you have to do a heavy load of queries or are getting large result sets you have to be careful not to overload the Java virtual machine that's running.

There is no technical support but the community supports it and the product manager is especially helpful if it comes down to problems.

I had to decide which solution we would use for a generic approach; and it was SQL Developer, in our case. At first, we worked with non-graphical utilities, command-line utilities and, but it was beneficial to have something that makes displaying data simpler.

When selecting a vendor it's important to me that the vendor has a reputation for a product; the vendor has to be reliable and predictable as well.

It's easy to deploy, I can copy it onto the system and run it without having to install it and this makes it a very good solution for quick use.

In house

License is free, setup is simple and scriptable.

There are many capable vendors in this category, but since we usually work with Oracle, a product from Oracle was the first choice. In this case, it has the advantage that it's free. The next best competitor would cost several thousand dollars.

What other advice do I have?

I think you should make yourself familiar with this product and get into the core functionality first, before making a decision.

I would rate it a nine out of 10 because I like its features, how well it is integrated into the core Oracle Database, and it's the first choice when you have to do stuff within the database.

18.4