Oracle SuperCluster Review

Review about Oracle SuperCluster

What is most valuable?

• Software in Silicon

How has it helped my organization?

One of the clients has many applications with many Oracle standalone databases running on multiple traditional storage/server technologies. Those databases were integrated to fetch business data. Hence, there was database slowness; also, wasting storage and resources on some servers. The customer wanted to consolidate all his applications and databases into a single platform, i.e, Oracle SuperCluster. Upon migrating to OSC M7, the customer achieved significant performance, reduced cost for licensing and used the Exadata and SuperCluster features.

What needs improvement?

• Stability
  • Optimization
  • Sustainable overall performance
  • Storage savings
  • Additional M7 (Software in Silicon features)

I have used it for one year.

We encountered deployment issues with some initial configuration settings due to IP conflicts, lack of power capacity and required additional switches.

After migrating Oracle ERP and database, there was an issue with the printer drivers, and issues running some Arabic reports. After upgrading the firmware version for printers, and adding a workaround to avoid Arabic login and reports, all went smooth.

We faced issues with ZFS failover, due to misconfiguration. After correcting the settings, ZFS failover worked like expected.

I am fully satisfied with customer service; can relax for the next five years without any major upgrade to the environment.

There were three vendors involved. Overall, technical support was satisfactory.

The client was on traditional storage/server technologies; they switched because they wanted to have a complete Oracle consolidated solution.

Many teams' involvement was required for initial setup. It is a bit complex until the initial configuration and basic installation of the OSC M7 is done.

A vendor team implemented it; it was satisfactory.

There has been a significant reduction in the cost of licenses for software/hardware.

Oracle SuperCluster M7 is bit expensive. However, it comes with many sizes, so, a customer can choose the right size required for the business.

What other advice do I have?

• Initial planning, such as network IP assignment (range), mandatory power/cooling/switch availability for a smooth installation
1 visitor found this review helpful