Oracle VM Review

Scales well and the technical support is good, but the orchestration should be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using the virtual machine to host our databases and other applications.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is that it's free. It helps customers and end-users save money.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better orchestration, as it would help in terms of setup.

Better automation would help in terms of provisioning and configuring new VMs.

Oracle VM should be more feature-rich.

Using this product should come at no charge, regardless of the platform.

We have been using Oracle VM for two or three years. We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

I have not seen any issues with stability.

Scalability has not been a problem. One of our older clients has about 1,000 end-users and one that we are working on now is expected to have about 50,000.

We have support directly from Oracle and we haven't had any issues with it.

I also have experience with VMware. The setup for VMware is a little bit easier.

The initial setup is not as easy as VMware, but over time and with experience, it will become easier.

Oracle VM is free if you are running it on Oracle infrastructure hardware, otherwise, it is subscription-based.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this solution is to consider the total cost of ownership. It does not make sense to try and save money on hardware if you are going to have really expensive software. Be sure to look at the entire ecosystem, rather than the itemized cost.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Oracle VM reviews from users
...who compared it with Citrix Hypervisor
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.