Oracle VM Review
Makes enterprise applications easier to deploy, manage, and support.
What is most valuable?
- It provides enhancements for network and storage configuration, policy-based management for delivering application resource flexibility, and a GUI.
- Distributed Resource Scheduling for capacity management, providing real time monitoring enabling re-balancing of a server pool.
- Distributed Power Management for reduction of powered-on servers.
- Centralized network configuration and management, using Oracle VM Manager
- Storage connect framework enabling direct leveraging of resources and functionality of storage systems from Oracle VM Manager.
- Plug ins are available for Fujitsu, Hitachi Data Systems and NetApp and are in development for SUN ZFS Storage Appliances and the Pillar Axiom 600 SAN storage system
- Supports up to 160 CPUs and 2 TB memory for physical servers
- Supports up to 128 vCPUs for Virtual Machines
- Browser based Oracle VM Manager GUI
- Job management framework
- Extensive event logging
- Performance statistics for CPU, memory, disk, and network for physical server and VMs
What needs improvement?
- Oracle's VM VirtualBox is a powerful, free, and open-source virtualization tool. However, you'll have to read a lot of documents and perform experiments in test environments to make it work for you.
- Oracle VM is the only certified solution for use with all Oracle software.
- Oracle VM: Virtualization is a key technology used in data-centers to optimize resources. Oracle VM provides an easy-use-centralized management environment for configuring and operating your server, network, and storage infrastructure from a browser based interface (no Java client required). It is accessible from just about anywhere.
- Oracle Virtualization comes with Desktop Virtualization and Server VirtualizationServer Virtualization.
- Designed for efficiency and optimized for performance, Oracle's server virtualization products support x86 and SPARC architectures. They nclude hypervisors and virtualization built into the operating system and hardware.
What other advice do I have?
Desktop Virtualization: Oracle's comprehensive desktop virtualization solutions, from secure thin client devices to highly optimized virtual desktop infrastructure software, offer ease of administration, higher security, and better access.
**Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Last updated: Jun 26 2017
More Oracle VM reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.