Oracle VM Review

If you need to put an Oracle Database on Linux or Windows and don't want to pay to license a whole VMware cluster, this is the next best option. There are several VMware features missing.

What is most valuable?

It offers live migration. It is the best virtualization option for Oracle databases for Linux as Oracle recognizes hard partitions for their database licensing.

How has it helped my organization?

If you need to put an Oracle Database on Linux or Windows for any reason, and don't want to pay to license a whole VMware cluster, this is the next best option.

What needs improvement?

There are several VMware features missing. I haven't done an in-depth analysis to understand which exact ones they are.

I've been using it for three years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

Stability was great. There were no issues with instability.

I only deployed it to a small, three-node Oracle X5-2 cluster.

Never had to open an SR. It's pretty stable. I did create ask some fairly technical questions about it on the My Oracle Support Community and got some great help there.

We previously used VMware which we had to use for licensing reasons, and to be able to own the full stack (hardware/virtualization/OS). My team had minimal permissions on the VMware side.

It was fairly easy for an experienced Linux admin.

I did the implementation myself.

I never did an ROI calculation.

It's much cheaper than paying millions for Oracle DB in VMware. Support for Oracle VM and Oracle Linux are included when installed on Oracle hardware, which makes it a very cheap option. There is a free, unsupported version available too. That might be attractive to some.