Oracle VM Review

Quick and easy way to deploy new virtual machines from Oracle VM templates and your own templates.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature of this product is the quick and easy way to deploy new virtual machines from Oracle VM templates and your own templates. That is very useful to deploy new virtual machines in a few minutes with different Oracle products already installed and configured. For example, we can deploy a new virtual machine with Oracle Database installed and another virtual machine with Oracle WebCenter installed.

Improvements to My Organization

It reduced the time to deploy new machines and reduced the cost of licensing.

Room for Improvement

It would be very nice to improve the way to get hot backup clones of virtual machines and to schedule this jobs from Oracle VM Manager.

Use of Solution

We used it for three years and we stopped last year.

I encountered some issues with virtual networks and live migration feature in v3.2.

We had no issues with the stability.

We've had no issues scaling it.

7/10

7/10

The company where I was used VMware solutions for virtualization of environments, and we migrated all Oracle products to an Oracle VM infrastructure.

The initial setup was a little complex because no one in the company knew about this product as it was something new at the time. My team and I did a successful installation of our Oracle VM environment and migrated all Oracle Database and Oracle WebLogic application servers to this new infrastructure, which are now in our production environment for client deliveries.

Implementation Team

The implementation was done by a local team of the company with some issues but finally with success.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This aspect was done by another team in our company.

Other Advice

I think it is a good Oracle product, but it is necessary to have a dedicated team with the correct expertise for this task because it is different from other virtualization solutions. The team should include people who know about storage, networking, Oracle Linux OS, Xen Server, Oracle Database, etc.