Oracle VM Review

Valuable Features:

• Scalability
  • Administering/managing
  • Simplified network/storage operations.

Having these features in place, a DBA admin can easily able to build VMs, migrate on the fly, assign network ports, and segregate the networks according to levels.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's improved our licensing. When we migrate physical servers to virtual ones, it reduces the amount of licenses needed. Not only that, Oracle Linux on Oracle VM are certified to run, also UEL is tuned to provide fast performance compare to other Linux.

Room for Improvement:

There are some minor bugs with the manual admin from Hyp versus GUI Admin.

Deployment Issues:

There were no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We have had no issues with the stability.

Scalability Issues:

It's scaled for our needs.

Other Advice:

I personally like working on Oracle VM rather than other virtualization, because of the simplified setup, and probably I am attached to Oracle products maybe, as being an Ex-Employee of Oracle Corp.

1 Comment
Robin Saikat ChatterjeeConsultant

Definitely the fact that oracle recognizes OVM as a trusted partition that can be used to reduce overall licensing is a major advantage compared to other x86 virtualization techniques.Since today's chips have insane numbers of cores sometimes this is the only way to keep licensing costs in check.

04 July 16