Oracle VM Review

It’s helped to decrease hardware and software license costs. It's missing an option to create a snapshot backup.

Valuable Features:

For most customers we have is the main reason avoiding license issues with Oracle. Most customers already have VMware vSphere running. Another reason is to have the complete stack from the same vendor, if any issues occur then only vendor has to be contacted for support to help fixing the issues.

Improvements to My Organization:

It’s helped to decrease hardware and software license costs to use Oracle VM as most of our customers are running a lot of small applications and databases. They use Oracle VM to create small VMs to install Weblogic and the Databases on seperate servers. Also, to split the OTA database and application servers from the production databases and applications. Advantage: less hardware to buy, and most software licenses are CPU based, by using hard partitioning you can save on license costs.

Room for Improvement:

Backup: It's possible to clone a VM (Virtual Machine) or make a template from it, but the option to create a snapshot backup from OVM Manager is missing. This option is available in VMware vSphere If you want to make snapshots using Oracle VM then it must be done by the storage product.

Jobs, the OVM manager handles only one job at the time. For a lot of actions, for example, starting or stopping a Virtual Machine, a job is created. If I start a couple of VM's at the same time I only see one job for starting the first VM. The other five jobs are in an invisible queue, after finishing the first job the second job starts and becomes visible at that moment. What to improve: make at least visible which jobs are in the queue and make it possible to run multiple jobs at the same time.

Security: there is no role based access control available in OVM Manager, if it’s needed then you have to use Oracle Enterprise Manager with the right plugin.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for years.

Deployment Issues:

There were no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've experienced no issues with performance.

Scalability Issues:

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Other Advice:

The product is good for the things we want to do with it, but there is room for improvement.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an Platinum Oracle Partner.