Oracle VM Review

You can scale VMs without affecting the software applications. You can still reconfigure the hardware.

What is most valuable?

Virtual machines are much cheaper than having physical machines. They are rolling out new machines very quick and fast. It saves time and saves cost, that’s how we feel; and also the systems are more reliable.

How has it helped my organization?

Saves time for procuring the new hardware. No more physical space sitting on the data centers.

It's stable. There are still ways you can break the system, but it's very minimal, compared to a physical system.

For real hardware, scalability is challenging. But with virtual, you can scale without affecting the software applications, you can still reconfigure the hardware. Whenever we ask them to increase the RAM or other things, they can do it, and never come back and say well, it's VM's role. But every two years, we need to update the VM build; that we know. After four years, our VMs get old, so we need to replace them.

So far the response is good. Our team never comes back and says Oracle is giving us a hard time.

It's a challenge for us to keep investing in it. We are a manufacturing company, not an IT company. Whenever Oracle comes, say every three to five years, and says everybody change the system, you need to find the budget for that. And in a year, it’s going to be outdated again, right? After four years, my system has become completely outdated.

I'm sure there is one product, Oracle Data Integrator for loading bulk data from one system to another. We just starting using it. It’s a very good product, but we haven’t used all the features. Once we explored all the features, we got feedback from the company. I know so far that it’s good.

What other advice do I have?

I know that everything is on the cloud; but eventually, if you are a new startup company, go to the VM. You have control over what you have, while at the same time, not dependent on the hardware.

1 Comment
Robin Saikat ChatterjeeConsultant

Currently looking into Oracel Private Cloud Appliance which is built on OVM technology. For those of you with OPN access there is a beta exam available that ends on the 6th of May . https://eventreg.oracle.com/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x408596b399 for details and to request a voucher

04 May 17