Oracle VM Review

Excellent performance, scalability and flexibility; great cloning feature . Best for oracle Products

What is our primary use case?

We have a data center with multiple racks. The product Oracle VM Server is deployed on two of our HP G10 servers. Comparatively this product is more flexible & reliable for oracle Applications & Databases. we have all our PROD env on this platform and It also enables us to clone an oracle app / db product for a test environment within a few minutes. We are Oracle customers and I'm the system and infrastructure Admin.

How has it helped my organization?

we have also test and development env. live cloning of oracle app /db within minutes is a great feature and very helpful for us.

What is most valuable?

The live cloning within minutes is a great feature and live migration is very easy. It's the most reliable feature and it's not available in VMware or Hyper-V. Performance, scalability and flexibility are all good in this product.

What needs improvement?

All features are ok. just need to add performance monitoring tools for all running VMs & reporting facility as well.

I've been using this solution for six years.

There is good stability with this product and we've been able to upgrade when necessary without any problems. We have the technical skill and product knowledge so it's easy for us.  This solution is more stable than VMware and Hyper-V

This solution is easy to scale. We can add the storage and increase VM capacity without a problem. this product is scalable. storage, network, NFS, servers can be easily added or migrated.

although we have technical support license. but from last five years we didn,t need any support. as we have technical skill set and product knowledge. .

we were using physical servers. then we move to VMWare but we faced issue regarding oracle apps / dbs performance. then we found OVM solution. this is best for oracle products. VMWare is also a good product but as for as performance of Oracle aap / db is concern . Oracle VM server is best option

I configured the applications and deployed this solution. Deployment doesn't take very long, it just depends on the situation. I can build an Oracle environment in one day and deploy virtual machines. to mange Oracle VM server we need Oracle VM Mmanager. that is also easy configure. a complete guide is available. just study thoroughly before deployment.

no vendors at all. i tested and deployed this product by myself. initially it was 3.4.2 then we upgraded to 3.4.5.

We found this product to be reasonably priced, it's not expensive like VMware.

as mentioned earlier we used physical env as well as vmware & hyper-v. we are still using the same for other applications. But for oracle products we choose oracle vm server.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution, especially for oracle apps & dbs. within five minutes you can make a clone even if it's one terabyte.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

3.4.5
More Oracle VM reviews from users
...who compared it with Citrix Hypervisor
Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.