Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

Using a virtual operating system simplifies the installation procedure, system maintenance, and system backup. It allows you to be hardware independent.

Valuable Features

• It's easy to implement.
  • It supports USB 3.0.
  • It provides for cloning of images from real machines or VMs.

Improvements to My Organization

Having a virtual operating system has many advantages. Using such an approach simplifies the installation procedure, system maintenance, and system backup. It allows you to be hardware independent.

Room for Improvement

It needs better support for 3D. This would allow us to virtualize operating systems used by designers or architects. The base virtual disk (VDI file), which contains the state before taking the snapshot, should be aware if it has some related snapshots. This would help to eliminate issues when moving or migrating virtual machines to new hardware, e.g. if you move the base virtual disk file but forget to move the snapshots.

For some Linux distributions, I had a high CPU utilization when running Oracle VM Virtualbox. Sometimes with Linux, there was a problem with freezing the host system.

There were some issues with the toolbar menu when using two monitors. In the end, I managed to get those issues resolved either with changing the virtual machine configuration or by updating to a newer version of Oracle VM Virtualbox.

We've had no issue scaling it to our needs.

I have only used community support and there are a lot of technical guides and discussions that can guide you to a solution.

For virtualizing desktop solutions, we did not use a previous solution. For server environments, we did. I have used Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware ESXi.

The initial setup was clean and straightforward. There might be some additional task to do, e.g. installing the DKMS module on some Linux distributions, but this is rather a distribution-related issue. It is possible to have to change settings in the BIOS, but the software gives enough good information when starting, e.g. if something is not enabled in the BIOS. With Windows, it is very easy to set up a host environment.

Implementation Team

All implementations were done by me. I wrote some manuals and guides for my colleagues so they could do the roll-out afterwards.

Other Advice

Be sure to have enough hardware resources to run the virtual machines smoothly.