Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

Linux-wise, I go with the VirtualBox because of the simplicity.

What is most valuable?

I can manage the VirtualBox images. It's a VirtualBox. We work with both VMware and VirtualBox. Linux-wise, I go with the VirtualBox. I don't go with the VMware, because of the simplicity. Especially when you're using Oracle Linux, you are matching the products together. The manageability of the virtual images is much better. That's what I like.

What needs improvement?

If I could maybe have cloud images, that would be awesome. It's going to be hard to manage cloud with a cloud, or image with an image, but hey, if it can be done, we can do that, too. Why not? You have mobility, so you can use something. You can have a server with all of the VirtualBoxes there and the images there. For example, if you are managing an application, you can use it from a touch of a screen. Why not?

I've been with this company since November 2015, and they've probably been using it for quite a longer time than I'm here. From my perspective, that's roughly a year.

It has been consistently stable over the past year. We didn't have any down time. All of the images were always perfectly done.

It's funny; sometimes one of the IT departments would say, "Well, why don't you convert your VirtualBox to VMware?" That means I have to redo the whole thing. So, I said, "Forget it. I'll stay with this one." Don't add more fire to a fire. Just leave it as it is. If it isn’t working, then maybe you try to put it out with water, but that doesn't work sometimes. Just stay where it is. It’s meant to be like that.

It is scalable. It does what we need to do with our images for our production, especially for the Linux images.

I don't really have any contact with support, because everything works fine. I haven’t had a chance to actually talk to them. Maybe not right now, but from previous engagements, I have some experience with Oracle support and also the community. I'm part of the OTN. I’ve been a partner of the OTN since before I joined my current company. Before that, for another engagement, they were using Oracle, and I decided I needed to know something. I logged in, I asked some questions, and people come on. That's how you learn. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What other advice do I have?

What are your needs? What is the most important for you? Then, we can show you what you can manage. The benefits: It's Oracle, so there you go. You have a VirtualBox. It's well-known. It's stable. I use it. If it works for me, it might as well work for you. Simple.

2 Comments
CISO at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employeesReal User

Why post VirtualBox text under Oracle VM ?
They are two totally different platforms, VirtualBox for more or less personal use and Oracle VM for Datacenter use.

14 December 16
Robin Saikat ChatterjeeConsultant

Hi Jaari, it seems itcentralstation is the one who has lumped both solutions under the same category sine they come from the same vendor. ideally there should have been two separate categories.

Oops actually Oracel VM virtualbox is what Oracel calls virtualbox now :) https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/virtualbox/index.html

15 December 16