Oracle VM VirtualBox Review

A stable solution that's free for Oracle users but needs to improve hot virtual machine migration

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtual machines for Oracle databases.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is its stability.

What needs improvement?

Oracle needs to improve its hot virtual machine migration. It didn't work as intended. It should allow us to migrate between virtual machines, without stopping the database.

I've been working with the platform for seven years.

The solution is stable.

I don't have enough information to gauge the solution's level of scalability. Our set up was in a controlled environment without scalability issues. We had an initial load, which was quite controlled, so we didn't test scalability with it. We just have our team, five people, using the solution.

We haven't needed to contact technical support. The consultant we used for the implementation answered any questions we had.

The initial setup has a moderate level of difficulty. Out of ten, I'd rate it at a five. It does depend on the project itself - whether it is simple or more complicated.

We used the services of an outside consultant to help us do the initial planning of the process as well as the installation and set up of the virtual machine.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution for licensing purposes if you are using an Oracle database. Otherwise, I would recommend clients to consider different platforms. The Oracle VM has the advantage of being free, so you only pay for support. It's very cheap, but I don't think it's very good as VMware.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

More Oracle VM VirtualBox reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere