Oracle WebLogic Server Review

When connecting to Oracle RAC Database, the Active Grid Link feature guarantees Fast Connection Failover and Connection Load Balancing.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features in Oracle WebLogic Server. For sure, production redeployment is one of the best, in order to deploy the new version of your application without removing the old one. Also, Exalogic optimizations provide the best performance for I/O and thread management when using WebLogic Server on Oracle Engineered Systems. Finally, the Active Grid Link datasource: When connecting to Oracle RAC Database, it guarantees Fast Connection Failover and Connection Load Balancing.

Another important feature is workload separation that can be achieved using custom Work Managers or Multitenancy (in the new 12.2 version).

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to WLST, we were able to standardize the deployment of standard WebLogic components (for example, JMS server, migratable targets, datasources, ...).

So, we can improve the quality of change management and reduce the time and the effort needed. We use also WLST to stop/start WebLogic domains and we apply best practices after domain creation.

What needs improvement?

The one thing I really miss is the possibility to define a metric extension (on Enterprise Manager) that uses a custom WLST script on a managed server target.

Oracle WebLogic Server is not fully integrated with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Most of the operations are available from Enterprise Manager, but you still need the WebLogic Administration Console as a graphical interface.

Oracle Weblogic Server has its own web interface (Administration Console) to monitor/change the configuration of a weblogic domain.

Not all the operations can be done using Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, but, in particular, I would like to create metric extensions using wlst scripts to implement custom metrics.

I have used it for about five years. We started with the 10.3.3 release.

The most critical issue is with Oracle Service Bus. There are limitations for configuration or deployment changes in production environments; in particular, when activating changes in SB Console, during high load, sometime deadlocks are generated inside the JVM, which requires restarting the JVM itself.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is 7/10.

Technical support is 7/10.

We use different kinds of application servers. The choice of type depends on the situation and on the environment.

The basic installation is simple. The Configuration Wizard helps you to easily create your domain.

After that, you need to define a set best practices (JDBC transaction log, active grid link datasource, JTA and so on).

We implemented it by ourselves.

WebLogic provided the foundation to install ExaLogic.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

If you are interested in Oracle Fusion Middleware products (Business Intelligence, Oracle Service Bus, Identity Management, etc.), I suggest before installing a standard WebLogic Server: investigate the installation, the configuration, the high availability and backup/restore. Also don't forget to apply patchset updates and recommended patches, to avoid known bugs or issues.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company, Bridge Consulting, is an Oracle partner and has been since 1998.
More Oracle WebLogic Server reviews from users
...who compared it with JBoss
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, Red Hat, Apache and others in Application Server. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.