Oracle Zero Downtime Migration Review

Simple, easy, automated procedure to migrate on-premise Oracle Databases to the cloud seamlessly

What is our primary use case?

Many organizations are moving to cloud for various reasons. Every database migration opportunity comes with a very common challenge, e.g., service downtime. So, companies look for a solution which can help do DB migration with minimal or reduced downtime. Thus, Oracle provides a solution with Zero Downtime Migration (ZDM). It's a software solution that provides a simple, easy, automated procedure to migrate an on-premise Oracle Database to the cloud seamlessly. This has helped migrating on-premise databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Zero Downtime Migration provides a simple, easy automated solution for on-premise Oracle Database migration to Oracle Cloud and Exadata Cloud at Customer (ExaCC). We have used this approach to migrate a couple of our 12c databases to the cloud and managed to reduce the required downtime significantly. This approach provides pause/restart, monitoring, and auditing capabilities to help the migration process.

What is most valuable?

It's a solution offered to migrate on-premise Oracle Database versions from 11.2.0.4, 12.1.0.2, 12.2.0.2, 18c and 19c from the Linux platform to Oracle cloud, including Exadata Cloud at Customer. It uses eight simple steps to automate the process:

1. Download and install.
  2. Launch the DB migration process.
  3. Establish connectivity between the source to object storage.
  4. Transfer backup files to object storage.
  5. Create a standby on the cloud.
  6. Synchronize data between the primary and standby.
  7. Perform a switch over and swap of DB roles.
  8. Complete the migration.

What needs improvement?

For now, it is supported on the Linux platform with the 11gR2, 12cR1, 12cR2, 18c and 19c Oracle Database versions. Oracle should start supporting other operating systems, including Windows, Unix, and other OS platforms. It should also support migration between different DB versions and platforms to have this solution adopted by more companies.

They should provide the interface in GUI along with the CLI. This will simplify configuration and DBAs with little experience could also start using the solution.

This is a new database migration solution from Oracle to reduce downtime significantly. I have used it a couple of times in the recent past.

It is very controllable and customizable.

Oracle ZDM uses the Maximum Availability Architecture approach and leverages Active Data Guard technologies.

There are plenty of supported notes on MOS. Also, Oracle Support is accurate.

We did use other methods to migrate databases, data pumps, RMAN backups, and the SQL Developer tool.

You don't need much experience to work on this tool. Installation and setup are pretty easy.

Configuration requires a separate host and a little experience is required for installation. However, the usage is very straightforward.

In-house.

It is absolutely free.

Oracle ZDM comes absolutely free of cost. There is no additional licensing required for use of this software. It is fully automated with controls.

Because the procedure is between Oracle databases, only Oracle solutions are preferred.

What other advice do I have?

As specified, it should support other platforms, Windows, Unix, etc.

Other