OutSystems Review

Allows for quick application building, but with a hefty price tag to match

What is our primary use case?

We use OutSystems to analyze disparate applications that are about to become obsolete.

As we currently can't afford it, we are still in the testing and evaluating phase.

What is most valuable?

You can use this solution to build applications very rapidly. It can also easily be deployed on mobile devices and applications as well.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge for us is the licensing model and the cost of OutSystems. The apps that we are interested in have a very large user-base and OutSystems drastically ramps those costs up.

I have dealt with this solution for roughly 18 months.

We have no complaints surrounding both the scalability and stability of this solution.

We use ServiceNow for CMDB and ITSM related needs; we don't use ServiceNow for application development, so for us, the two aren't comparable. I don't have any experience with SericveNow's capabilities in that space.

Our team had no issues with the technical side of the initial setup. Ultimately, they were able to create prototypes and build apps really quickly. But I think where we failed was with the commercial side of it, in terms of the licenses and the costs surrounding deployment.

I believe our functional labs were up and running within a couple of days; however, we have not deployed it on a wider scale as we can't afford to.

Our in-house team of one or two people took care of everything.

What other advice do I have?

OutSystems is a good solution, but it's not cheap.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of five. The technical features are good, but the actual commercialization is out of reach.

Hybrid Cloud
More OutSystems reviews from users
...who compared it with Mendix
Learn what your peers think about OutSystems. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.