OutSystems Review

Intuitive to use and provides good mobile support

What is our primary use case?

We have used OutSystems to develop a simple portal in the cloud. This portal is mainly for internal use and not for actual customers or external users.

It's generally not for daily usage, so there's only a small team that uses OutSystems as their primary tool in their day-to-day work, but because it's open for any and all kinds of developers, there are probably hundreds of users throughout our organization.

What is most valuable?

I like the mobile features the most, and there are also various features around the portal we created that I enjoy.

What needs improvement?

We're still pretty new to OutSystems, though it has become apparent to us that, even though it's a so-called low-code platform, there are still some things that require a programmer. For example, you don't really need a lot of programming skill to work with OutSystems, but if you want to do something that's a bit more 'feature-ish', then you still need some programming experience.

Since we first started using OutSystems, they switched their language support from Java and .NET to .NET only, which was a bit of a surprise. Their language support could be better in this sense, although on our resource side it is now a bit more flexible.

On the whole, most of the features that we've required are all there. But there are some upcoming features that we are looking forward to. For example, the AI modules. They also have third-party vendors that produce different connectors, but I am hoping that OutSystems itself will start to create more innovative connectors or complementary solutions that we will find of use.

We have been using OutSystems in our organization for about one and a half years now.

So far there have been no major issues so I would say it's pretty stable.

We haven't yet reached the level that we need to seriously consider scaling, but from my experience it isn't so easy to scale any kind of closed platform where you start without the source. They may offer you the source later when migrating, but it's generally not so easy to queue up onto another platform or move to another vendor, so I expect that the scalability in this respect might be lower than we would like.

So far, most of our support is coming from internal sectors of our organization. I think it's easy enough to resolve all the issues we come across within the company.

We do use another similar product which isn't very well-known. It's a product from Germany and we use it mainly for internal use in the same way that we use OutSystems.

Comparatively, as a low-code kind of platform, OutSystems is the most intuitive to use, but if you have an experienced programmer in Java and .NET like myself, then the other platform is probably a bit more flexible.

It's basically a simple portal that we developed in-house.

The implementation details really depend on the project and the type of organization. For example, because we are quite a sizeable organization, there are other processes that we need to fulfill in order to maintain compliance before we push our projects to go live. Thus, for us, the full implementation took about six months. Thankfully, the maintenance is pretty low.

I think the pricing for OutSystems is comparable with similar solutions. I would place it somewhere in the middle. We pay for the bundle and don't pay anything extra in terms of licensing and other fees.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend OutSystems, but I would also point out to others that they're not the only product out there that deserves attention.

I would rate OutSystems an eight out of ten.

Other

More OutSystems reviews from users
...who compared it with Mendix
Learn what your peers think about OutSystems. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.