OutSystems Review

Great platform, very stable and it does automatic dependency checking: very useful for enterprise environments

What is our primary use case?

We don't sell OutSystems as a separate solution. We sell it as a platform. And then you win a lot of solutions on top of it. So that can be a second process, it can be a middle phase, it can be a portal, it can be many things, but it is useful for small apps to complete ERP systems and everything in-between.

How has it helped my organization?

It supports implementing Agile at scale, as it enables working in an iterative way, and it is very fast. Time to value as a result has dropped significantly!

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it does automatic dependency checking in enterprise environments, which means that the application will automatically test if it can work in the environment of the customer or not. Instead of only having to find it out when it is too late. Normally, if you build software, you test it and then you deploy it. In the real world, it sometimes happens that it does not work and then you quite often have to figure out why is it happening. So this step is completely taken away because OutSystems tests the functionality of the software against the existing systems in an automatic session and that is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

Something that can be improved is that I would like them to be a little more flexible in the area of containerization. They're currently running on Docker on Windows, but I think they should also support Docker on Linus too. Needs a little more effort.

I've worked with OutSystems for many years now - I've worked with it, I've implemented it, and we use it in our company too.

OutSystems is extremely stable. We are replacing complete back-end systems with it, and are in progress to go complete mainframe replacements with it.

You can go to huge back-ends with OutSystems - so it is definitely a scalable solution.

The technical support is quite good, although it could be better: it currently fluctuates a little depending on how busy they are. Also it depends on your contract (what level of support you have).

The initial setup is super simple and you can do it from your desktop. That is if you only want to implement the platform, but if you have a more complex enterprise setting, then it will be a little more complex and you will have to do some configuration, and up-front think about what functionality you expect to need (particularly if you chose to run on a native AWS or Azure environment so that you can make full use of all the functionality of those 2 CLoud environments. If you do not know exactly how the platform works and what it can do, you can implement certain things and redo a few things. But that's not a deficit. More power comes with more responsibility, l always say.

That depends on the kind of solution you are building and at what speed: the more you build, the higher the ROI.

For a single application, it's too expensive, but that's also not what the OutSystems aims for. Personally I don't think that's the smart approach. Their model is really based on platform and not every customer is ready to adopt a platform at the start. So, as a result, they actually limit their own success and results at the moment. But that isn't a huge issue. If you look at the value of the platform, I think the pricing is fair.

We looked at multiple alternatives, including (but not limited to) Appian, Betty Blocks, Mendix, Kony , Pega etc. They all have their own stronger and weaker points, yet we chose OutSystems as it is the most suitable platform for an Enterprise environment. As we do end2end transformations, this is why we chose OutSystems.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate OutSystems a nine out of ten because if you look at other solutions, they do not have the functionality, the scalability and the performance of OutSystems, even if their prices are lower. So if you need a platform for a large organization, OutSystems is the one.

To make it the perfect solution, it needs improvement in the AI capability. I would say that it would be nice to augment the functionality for the citizen development even further and augment the cloud's platform controls so that you can more easily run in a hybrid cloud environment too. Next to better branching options.

A word of advice to others is that they should align the business and IT because many people look at it from a technical point of view. And that is another really smart thing to do because it is really about driving the value. Because I've seen customers that bought either mandates or OutSystems or any other platforms and a lot of them had difficulties in getting the value out of it. And the reason was because if the IT or individual departments don't know how to define the proper user requirements, and then it is too difficult to successfully deploy it. It is therefore very important for the business and IT team to work together because that is the most common mistake people make.

More OutSystems reviews from users