Palo Alto Networks DNS Security Review

User friendly, zero-configuration, and priced fair

What is our primary use case?

This is a subscription-based solution that you need to procure for our firewall that provides DNS security. We use this solution for all of our on-premise and remote users. It is used in any servers which are connected over the internet or the users who are trying to reach the internet.

What is most valuable?

When comparing other cloud-based DNS security solutions to this one I have found the main beneficial feature in this solution we do not need to change our architecture. There was no need to change the configuration or to do any modification to the user's end. The user's DNS will be the same, the traffic will flow through the same firewall, and it will give us the DNS level security. For other OEMs or other solutions, we need to map their DNS to the public DNS and there is a need to modify the DNS at the user level. Additionally, the solution works in real-time and it is easier to deploy users. For example, to deploy 1,000 - 2,000 users having to do the modifications in each user's IT environment would take a lot of time.

Additionally, I have found the solution to be very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There should be an on-premise version of this solution. There are companies that have asked for a solution that is on-premise. The reason for this is some companies might want to have control of where their traffic is going. For example, banking companies do not want their DNS queries or any such traffic to be sent over the cloud, because the cloud can be inside India or anywhere. This is why they might want the solution to be on-premise to allow them to have full control of the security.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution is very reliable and stable. It intercepts DNS traffic and it can block unwanted traffic and forward it elsewhere.

The solution is highly scalable since it is in the cloud. We have approximately 50 users using the solution. Between my customers, they have a user base of 10 to 10,000 users using the solution.

The technical support is responsive.

Since it is a subscription, all you need to do is activate the license to use it.

There is an annual license for the solution and I am satisfied with the pricing.

We did evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement Palo Alto Next-generation Firewalls, VM-Series, K2, or any other firewall from Palo Alto, I would recommend them to enable DNS Security.

I rate Palo Alto Networks DNS Security a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Palo Alto Networks, Cisco, Infoblox and others in Domain Name System (DNS) Security. Updated: June 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.