Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Review

Great GlobalProtect and App-ID features; easy implementation and good integration

What is our primary use case?

We deploy and provide support for this solution to our customers. The use case depends on customer requirements because Palo Alto Next Generation Firewall can be used as a data center firewall, perimeter firewall or on the cloud for a perimeter firewall or used with communications. Some customers use it for global protect connectivity. I am a senior network engineer and we are partners with Palo Alto Networks.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of this solution is the GlobalProtect, followed by the App-ID feature which is very good. I also like the VMS feature.

What needs improvement?

They've improved a lot of things but we'd like to see more mobility between on-prem and cloud based. I'd also like to see security synchronization between the firewalls. Managing can be difficult.

I've been providing this solution for over two years.

There are occasionally issues with reporting, otherwise stability is fine.

The scalability of this solution is fine.

Technical support is fine, although sometimes there have been delays. From a technical perspective, they are knowledgeable.

Now that I have some experience with it, the initial setup is simple. If it's being deployed on-prem, deployment takes a couple of days. But if it's a cloud deployment, we can complete deployment in a day.

Palo Alto is more expensive in comparison to Fortinet and other firewalls. It's okay because they do provide quality.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this firewall still. Our system integrates well but it depends on customer requirements so we sometimes choose to go with an alternative firewall.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
More Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.