Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Review

Easy to create custom policies, easy to upgrade, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a firewall. We have VPN, IPSec, or site-to-site VPN. We also protect our few internal web services.

What is most valuable?

Everything is easy in Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall. It is very stable, easy to configure, and easy to upgrade. It is also very easy to create custom policies and applications. Everything can be done with the click of a button.

It is also good for the protection of web services. Nowadays, they have a rather new DNS security feature, which is pretty good and functional. We did a one-month trial, and it is the best product for the firewall network.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. It is expensive.

Other vendors have pre-configured policies for the protection of web servers. Palo Alto has an official procedure for protecting the web servers. Many people prefer pre-configured policies, but for me, it is not an issue.

I have been using this solution for almost six years.

Our version is not scalable. The new version is scalable on the network interface. It comes with slots where you can put your SFP if you want a fiber or copper.

We have almost 600 users who use it for accessing the internet. We have about 50 to 70 VPN connections.

I didn't contact them because I don't get any technical issues with any feature of the firewall. I didn't have the need to open a case. If I have any issue, I am able to resolve it by using my cell phone and taking help from the internet.

I was using Check Point before Palo Alto. I am very disappointed with Check Point because I had to reboot power three to five times a week. Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall is comparatively very easy to manage and use. It has better logic for configuration than other firewalls.

The initial setup was straightforward. When I migrated from Check Point to Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall, it took about an hour and a half to reconfigure all policies and services.

I deployed it myself. The logic is very easy when you configure it. I did 90% percent of deployment on my own. For the remaining 10% deployment, I found the information on the internet.

I am the only user working on this firewall. I am a system administrator.

It is a little bit expensive than other firewalls, but it is worth every penny. There are different licenses for the kinds of services you want to use. When we buy a new product, we go for a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We have not had any issue with this solution. I really hope that we continue to use this solution. Its price is higher than other solutions, and the company might go for another firewall.

I would recommend this solution to other users. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a nine out of ten.

More Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Cisco ASA Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.