Palo Alto Networks Panorama Review

Sophisticated and robust prevention that is relatively easy to setup even in complex environments

What is our primary use case?

My obligations consist of overseeing cyber threat intelligence, threat defense operation, digital forensic incident response, and data loss prevention. So in the context of endpoint solutions, my position pertains mainly to the DLP (data loss prevention) function.

Cisco AMP (Advanced Malware Protection) plays a significant role in our perimeter strategy for protecting the infrastructure. I work primarily with making sure that we have indicators of compromise in Cisco AMP. I am not on the network engineering or network operations side of things. I am mainly a consumer of services from those particular groups.

We use Snort rules (open source network intrusion detection system [NIDS]). We use Yara rules (Yet Another Recursive/Ridiculous Acronym, rules for malware identification). We have Palo Alto IPSs (Intrusion Prevention Systems).

Our use cases are primarily perimeter-based for runtime malware defense.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the management features like the ACL (Access Control List) management. These give us the capacity to make effective use of the capabilities of the product.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is always something that consumers hope will be addressed in their favor. I think that some method of allowing for more customization and open integration with other controls within the enterprise is something that we want to have. We want to be able to have more orchestration of disparate parts.

I think the features that most of the features that I would like to see are currently being implemented. Behavioral heuristic analysis of connections, for example. That is something that I know is being done now.

We have been using Networks Panorama for a couple of years now.

The stability is good. If you consider the size of our organization and the number of users that can verge on being impressive.

I have good impressions of the scalability of this solution. We have not really had any issue scaling the usage.

The tech support is actually pretty good. In general, they address issues in a timely manner with reasonable responses.

My team has not previously used any different solutions in this company, but I have definitely, in the past, used other solutions. It is really necessary for the evaluation of product capabilities.

The installation was straightforward in a complex environment. That means that we could have had far more issues were the product not well-designed from an installation standpoint. We are a big organization. Deployment can be a matter of weeks or it could be a matter of months depending on what jurisdiction the installation happens to be in.

We have various partners and consultants that we work with in addition to having expensive competencies in-house. We do not often have a reason to go beyond the network of expertise that we have established.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering Networks Panorama is to thoroughly research the competitive landscape. Do your Gartner research. Make sure you develop a set of requirements — a feature matrix that you can use to compare your requirements with the functionality offered by the various solutions under consideration. There are a lot of solutions out there and the goal would be to pick the one that best fits your situation rather than just one that someone recommends.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-of-ten considering the knowledge and insight I have into it now.

Hybrid Cloud