Palo Alto Networks Panorama Review

Superior firewall management, plenty of features, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to manage our two perimeter devices. We have two firewall setups; one perimeter and one internal firewall and we have two different Panorama for managing both set of firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are that its look & feel is exactly same as normal firewall, easy to explorer all of its features, also it has the Log Collector mode. This mode allows us to store our logs for two years in the solution itself.

What needs improvement?

There is a need to improve the upgrade process. When we are upgrading the solution we are facing some issues with Elasticsearch services. Every time we upgrade it takes a long time to become stable.

In an upcoming release, I recommend having policy segmentation because that will help Panorama. There is no policy segmentation as you would find in Check Point.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The stability needs some improvement during some operations.

The solution is scalable. We have the solution on a VM and we only need to increase our storage to scale. One of my clients is a bank and they have approximately 2,000 employees using the solution.

We are using this solution on a daily basis. The operation team is using it for log search, deploying policies, and a few other operations. I do not think we need a second instance of this solution running because security features are working with the firewall and not on Panorama.

The technical support is very good. Whenever we face an issue the technical support team helps a lot.

In the initial setup in our case, we are using the single setup firewall with panorama. the usual templates, stacks, and devices group is works good with multiple firewalls. But with single firewall setup This whole process has become very complicated and very confusing. There should be some provision for a single setup firewall to avoid the template stacks and templates.

The solution is priced well and there is a license for this solution that we pay annually for.

I previously evaluated Check Point and Fortinet. Check Point security management server is altogether a different GUI & cannot work without SMS and Fortinet is also different because FortiAnalyzer is only used for log collection.

This solution features I would recommend over Fortinet and Check Point because it has the same look as a firewall and there is no more difference between firewall and Panorama. We can deploy policy & other configurations without panorama as well.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to implement this solution that is pretty straightforward, and Palo Alto has written very detailed documentation on their website. If you go through that it is very easy to deploy. You will not run into any issues if you follow the documentation.

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate Palo Alto Networks Panorama a nine out of ten.

9.1.9
More Palo Alto Networks Panorama reviews from users
...who compared it with FireMon
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks Panorama. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.