Palo Alto Networks Panorama Review

Improves management abilities by simplifying the implementation of policies for all branches

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is jack monitoring and file management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution improves my management abilities by simplifying the implementation of policies for all my branches.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it allows me to push multiple policies on multiple followers at the same time. For instance, I can work on a policy and it gets submitted on more than one file. It is a good feature for me to have, because I have many branches, so it gives me the ability to implement more than one policy, or to implement one policy on multiple files. I like the ease of management for the policies in the all files.

What needs improvement?

I have had some leakage issues before, but it was solved. I would, however like to see better integration with other products.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks Panorama for three to four years now.

To be honest, the stability is really good, but perhaps it is from the Amazon Web Services (AWS). I haven't tried it on VMware yet, because I use Tekfy as a platform. The implementation on AWS made my life very easy. There was a template for this program on AWS, so I only needed to install my license and then it implemented Panorama.

The minimum license is for 25 users, so up until now, I didn't need to scale. We currently have five or six users who work on the program daily, and most of them are in the security division. One person is using Panorama to check for the logs from the files, and then we have a security consultant. We have one or two staff responsible for maintenance.

We used three people for deployment, as we were already using some of them for the branches, creating a VPN between AWS and to create firewalls to ensure that everything was working fast.

The technical support is good, but it can be better. I will rate the customer service eight out of ten.

The initial setup was straightforward because we used a consultant of the company to do the installment. They did a good job with it.

My implementation strategy was to install Palo Alto Networks Panorama first, and then implement and integrate it with all my other files. It took us about two weeks to deploy the program.

We looked at FireMon, but FireMon was more expensive, and the main requirement for FireMon is to manage more than one file from different vendors. We didn't need it.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this solution to others because it is a good solution, but only if you are using multiple files and not only two or three files. You should have at least five files for this solution to be right for you. I rate this product an eight out of ten. Easier implementation with other solutions will increase my rating.

In the future, I would like to see additional features being able to install firewalls using remote sites and the ability to do initial configuration using Panorama. I would like this initial configuration to be copied on USP and have the firewalls configured to connect to the Panorama.

I would, therefore, like to see easier configuration and implementation in the next version.