Palo Alto Networks Prisma Access Review

Good architecture, software, and interface with strong endpoint protection

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers here in Egypt are looking for how to manage their boxes in simple ways. They want good performance as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We sometimes need to apply proactive service on specific applications. We can do it with Palo Alto Networks in just a few clicks. On some projects, we work with other vendors like Juniper or Check Point and we are really facing some obstacles applying policies and proactive service in specific applications. But Palo Alto and its next next-generation firewall offers especially proactive services on a specific type of application, and in applications like tracking features.

What is most valuable?

The next-gen firewall performance is very good. The solution has very good architecture, software, and interface.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the proactive service on this application and application tracking in their next release.

Their next release should provide solutions for the mobile environment.

I've been using the solution since 2009.

It's very stable. Sometimes after installing the boxes, we leave them for one or two years. We would just touch the box in the case of the customer needing new requirements or changes to the setup. It has a very stable performance because they have very good architecture and software.

We don't usually need technical support. My company is certified to provide the Tier 1 support for Palo Alto here in Egypt. Most of the time we are fielding the cases here in the technical support center in our company. Sometimes we need to escalate to their Tier 2 and Tier 3, and the response is very good. We are talking about just two hours to escalate to the next level of support. They have a very good policy about help features and support centers in our region here and in India.

There are many ways to deploy for the firewall in general. Sometimes we propose a firewall as a perimeter firewall, to protect the internet connections. Sometimes, we propose the firewalls to protect the data center and protecting the institutional traffic between servers. So it depends on the deployment model and the customer requirements.

Depending on the client, it may take time to gather the info and requirements from the customers, so it takes anywhere from two business days to two months to finalize the whole deployment for the Palo Alto Networks.

We have a technical team in our company that handles the implementation.

Palo Alto is not a cheap product. It's expensive because they provide very good technology.

Here in Egypt, there are about 93 system integrators and we have a partnership with Fortinet. We consider our connections because we need to avoid conflict with our partners and conflict with other solutions in our portfolio. We choose Palo Alto and Check Point to avoid conflict with our partners. The market is very crowded with FortiGate technical solutions and partners, so we avoid these.

What other advice do I have?

We had a very good experience with their solutions, especially with their endpoint protections and the next-generation firewalls. We are a local distributor in Palo Alto here in Egypt. So we propose this technology to our customers and our partners here in Egypt.

Palo Alto offers very good technology and hardware. Its very good in this category of solution. You have options of providing or proposing to a customer a small box, or sometimes a mid range. It depends on the model and the deployment.

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.