Palo Alto Networks Traps Review

We've had a significant increase in blocking with a decrease in false positives

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is anti-malware and anti-exploit.

How has it helped my organization?

Traditional anti-virus is signature-based, whereas Traps is behavior-based. Therefore, it doesn't necessarily whitelist things, it looks for anything with bad behavior. Thus, we've had a significant increase in blocking with a decrease in false positives, because it's looking at how the files work, not just a list of files that it's been told to look for.

What is most valuable?

The anti-exploit is impenetrable. We chose Traps because it is the only product that we were not able to get anything past.

What needs improvement?

Going from version 4 to version 5, they had a major change in their user interface. Version 5 is now all cloud managed, while it has a very intuitive, useful interface, it doesn't have all the features that were in the version 4 interface. For example, we lost being able to automatically trigger upgrades, like creating manual groups to upgrade with. It doesn't currently have the ability to use the Active Directory to create groups.

It's fairly stable. They do have bugs which come up every once in a while, but they're usually good about getting them taken care of within a release.

It is definitely scalable.

Primarily, it is just being used by myself. The help desk also uses it. There are probably a total of around ten users.

We've deployed it to about 1500 endpoints so far. There is a possibility that we may expand our usage, but not in the foreseeable future. We are at pretty much at 100 percent deployment at this point.

I would describe Palo Alto's technical support as audio waterboarding. They have the worst support, as a company, that I have ever worked with, as they are difficult to get a hold of and keep on the phone. They don't know what they are talking about when you get them on the phone. They don't like to respond to messages when you send them to them. They like to "research problems" for weeks on end, then pass you off to somebody else.

We were previously using Sophos for antivirus, and are still using Sophos for antivirus, but we're using Traps to augment it.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward on version 4, but on version 5, it is almost idiot-proof.

The initial deployment of getting the servers and everything up took about a week, but getting everything deployed was somewhere closer to six weeks.

We implemented it in-house. We incrementally did some systems to make sure that it wouldn't block anything that it shouldn't. After that, we used Active Directory to push it to everything else.

Very little staff is required for deployment and maintenance, as Traps is self-maintaining.

I feel that we have seen ROI. There have been a number of blocked, bad files that could have gotten through, but were stopped by Traps.

The pricing seems fair, and I do like the licensing model. You use wherever they are, and it is elastic. So, if you have 1100 computers today, you can license that. Therefore, as long as you're below your licensing cap, you're fine.

We looked at Palo Alto vs Sophos, which has a anti-malware system called Intercept X, but it did quite literally nothing. We thought about Symantec, but we didn't end up testing them against Traps.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation is fairly straightforward and easy. With version 5, everything is now on the cloud. It is easy to work with and use. I would use mobile device management (MDM) or Active Directory (AD) to push the file everywhere when installing it, as it will auto go from there. The management is pretty low. Thus, it will be set it, and for the most part, you can forget it.