Palo Alto Networks Traps Review

Blocks malicious files, but managing the product should be easier

What is our primary use case?

So far, we have only done a PoC of Palo Alto Traps. We deployed Traps on a few devices and then did the PoC. I also attend a workshop for Palo Alto Traps. I learned how it works and how it can block malicious files, etc.

What is most valuable?

• It blocks malicious files.
  • It prevents attacks.
  • It doesn't require many updates, it's a very light application.

What needs improvement?

Managing the product should be easier.

The stability is good but I did face one issue that I want to point out. I don't know about the new version but in the old version, sometimes not all your devices are showing properly. Sometimes they show as "inactive."

Scalability is good. You can install it on any number of devices that you are licensed for.

Technical support is good but people need better knowledge of that particular product. I don't think it's well-known in India.

If we asked someone about using Traps they would ask, "What is Traps?" Compared to other products like Symantec and Trend Micro, Traps is not well-known endpoint protection. The engineers also don't know much about it, so Palo Alto needs to promote knowledge of this product.

I go through the vendor for support first. If the vendor doesn't resolve the issue then they log the case with Palo Alto. We haven't had any incidents that had to go to Palo Alto. Everything has been resolved by the vendor so I don't know about the direct support of Palo Alto, except that the Palo Alto firewall is a very stable brand. There's no issue.

We are using Symantec now. We were thinking of purchasing Palo Alto but because the EDR part was not there at the time, we went with Symantec which has the EDR solution. EDR is essential for our project. I think it has been announced that EDR is part of Traps now.

The initial setup was very simple. We finished the deployment within one day.

For our implementation strategy, it's cloud-based, so we installed the PoC license on the cloud and then started deploying the agent software on my laptop and mobile devices, and then we did the PoC.

We did not negotiate the price because the solution did not fulfill our requirements. But the price was fine. I don't know how it would compare with Symantec because I negotiated a lot with Symantec. I don't know what kind of negotiation I could have done with Palo Alto.

We did not check any other options. But I am going to evaluate Traps in the next year because I want to go for a Palo Alto platform, as we already have a Palo Alto firewall. If, next year, all my requirements are fulfilled, then I will definitely go for Traps.

What other advice do I have?

Palo Alto Traps is good but they need to more widely promote it.