Palo Alto Networks Traps Review

Improves our endpoint security posture in both performance (no scanning) and protection (NG AI/ML)

What is our primary use case?

We use Palo Alto Networks Traps (Version 6) to protect our endpoints against NG malware via behavior analysis, artificial intelligence and machine learning. Both the PA Traps endpoint logs, our PA firewall traffic logs and the Wildfire sandbox are used to provide immediate threat response and feed this information to the PA Threat Intelligence cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Palo Alto Networks Traps improves our security posture and lowers risk by providing next-gen methods to combat against modern threats on all the major platforms.

What is most valuable?

The one feature that our organization finds most valuable is being able to control the USB ports on the endpoints

What needs improvement?

I haven't seen any area that needs improvement but I've only been using it for 5 months but have not found any deficiencies.

I would like to see more automation and self-healing for incidents that can be easily classified as malware.

Less than one year.

No issues

Palo Alto Networks Traps features excellent protection, cost and scalability. We are a small group of 4 employees and have 2 people dedicated to deployment and monitoring of 1400+ endpoints.

Palo Alto Network's technical support is excellent.

Since we were a Fortinet shop, we previously used the FortiClient endpoint agent. We switched to Palo alto FWs and endpoint protection because it is a more mature product with advanced next-gen capabilities not available from the Fortinet solution.

The initial setup was done by a Palo Alto certified service provider.

This product pays for itself with only one ransomware denial!

Our license runs on a monthly basis with a recurring monthly charge. If you want additional options like secure remote access with policies, that requires an additional cost.

Palo Alto Networks Traps does not apply secure remote access to devices without policies, which we are implementing. If you want to apply more policies, like an anti-virus program, anti-malware, or configurations for using a VPN on remote connections, that would also be an additional cost. We're not doing that.

Cylance, Carbon Black, Crowdstrike, Microsoft Windows Defender ATP, Sophos, SentinelONE

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1-10, I would rate Palo Alto Networks Traps with an eight. It is great, but I have some issues with the cost of the product license.