Palo Alto Networks VM-Series Review

Not dependent on the hypervisor so we can install it on Hyper-V Microsoft software and deploy it

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for hands-on testing purposes and also for activating firewall re-entries, which is easy to accomplish. We only need to turn up the VM to the firewall. This serves users who are working at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We also utilize the solution in respect to several servers which are behind the firewall.

What is most valuable?

A valuable feature of the solution is that it is not dependent on the hypervisor so we can install it on Hyper-V Microsoft software and deploy it. We have even installed it on Nutanix 81, in which it is supported. It is not dependent on the platform and is stable.

What needs improvement?

When we activate the solution on Amazon, instead of AWS, GCP or another type of public cloud, we encounter problems, as our engineers are not yet completely hands-on in respects of the public cloud platforms. Still, they can configure the firewall just fine.

Integrative capabilities with other solutions should also be addressed.

I have been using Palo Alto Networks VM-Series for the past five-and-a-half years.

The solution is reliable.

We have tried to scale. The Western side of migration is very easy in terms of scalability. Our customers may increase their licensing counts in tandem with their increased performance requirements from the firewall. In this case, they would procure a VMP and the license. The activation of the firewall would be accomplished by the tech in the back-end. The customer would get the migration capabilities and procure the license without experiencing any downtime.

There is room for improvement from the side of technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The deployment takes two days. This includes installing the solution on the OVO files, upgrading the firewall panel records, activating the license and configuring basic policies and rules. However, our setup was basic and did not involve business activity, which would necessitate a technical business setup. In such case, the process from start to finish may take a customer up to 10 or 15 days.

The VM series is licensed annually.

The option exists to procure a basic license. With this, the firewall feature comes with the application and the board, with everything in code. A subscription is included.

The solution is cost effective in comparison to others.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy the solution on-premises for customers and organizations, although we also do so via AWS.

There are around 16 users connected to the VMP firewall.

The security feature is really good, although there would be a bit of a learning curve when it comes to the cloud.

I rate Palo Alto Networks VM-Series as a nine out of ten.

In my environment I'm using version VM-100 and I advise my customers to go with VMP and VM finder.
More Palo Alto Networks VM-Series reviews from users
...who compared it with Cisco Firepower NGFW Firewall
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks VM-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.