Palo Alto Networks VM-Series Review

It provides complete security posture from end-to-end

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is network protection, next-generation IDS, and IPS protection.

How has it helped my organization?

• It provides better protection.
  • There is seamless integration.
  • It provides complete security posture from end-to-end. This has given us better visibility into what our security aspects are.

What is most valuable?

The next-generation features of its IDS and IPS.

What needs improvement?

The product could provide protection above Layer 3, which gets into the application layer and provides better visibility into those aspects of application security. This would be very helpful. This way, there would be one tool that we could continue using.

The data aspects of data security and data loss prevention could provide visibility which would be very useful.

It is stable. We haven't had any issues and don't think about the stability.

One of the great features that we liked and selected it was its  scalability. We can autoscale and put it in Auto Scaling groups, which is very useful.

We have hardly any issues. We have had some patches of data needing some help, but that was it, and the technical support has been spot on.

Integration on on our AWS environment was one of the points that we liked about it.

We used technical support in the initial stages when we were setting it up and configuring some of the features. We used their Professional Services, who were very useful.

We have already seen ROI.

We continue using it, because the concept was at six months, we should receive value back out of it. If the value is seen, only then would we continue using it. It is two years later, and we still continue using it.

Because the solution was getting deployed on AWS, it was the best place to go and it was available there.

One of the factors for selecting Palo Alto was they had flexible pricing. They had a pay-as-you-go model. Comparable to other products, such as Check Point, the price point was definitely a plus. It was expensive but it was comparable.

We looked at Palo Alto, Check Point, Fortinet, and some other vendors.

We chose Palo Alto because its features, especially its advanced features from the IDS and IPS. We were existing customers with Palo Alto from the on-premise side along with the integration aspects of its hardware.

What other advice do I have?

Identify a use case first of all. If the use case is a match, then use the product.

We use it in the cloud for both AWS and non-AWS versions. The AWS version is far better. It works seamlessly and integrates very well with some other services.

We have integrated it with Splunk for the security aspects and with identity and access management for configuration purposes.