Palo Alto Networks WildFire Review

Offers good protection against zero-day malware

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and WildFire is one of the security products that we implement for our customers. We are also using it for testing purposes.

It is primarily used to check for cloud-based malware.

How has it helped my organization?

Nowadays, this product is very important for customers because there are a large number of zero-day attacks. It gives them a sense of security and confidence because you never know what type of malware will be invented tomorrow.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cloud-based protection against zero-day malware attacks.

What needs improvement?

The only complaint that we receive from our customers is in regards to the price. Our clients are happy with the technical aspects, but the cost is expensive.

Some customers complain that it takes a long time to make changes to the configuration, but this depends on the customer and the environment. It may not be a problem that is directly related to the product. There are a lot of changes that need to be made for the security of a big company.

The technical support team in Poland should be larger.

Palo Alto needs to invest more in marketing because there is not enough awareness for the brand in Poland.

We have been using WildFire for one year.

We have not experienced any problems related to stability in our environment, and have not had any such complaints from our clients.

We have not had any issues that required going outside of our own technical team.

The Palo Alto team in Poland is very small, so getting an engineer's time can be a challenge.  If you have a small team then it's hard to support everybody. The local distributor has taken over some of the responsibilities for solving technical issues that customers have.

My thinking is that we don't have to contact technical support with serious issues because we don't have big problems with the product. I'm sure that there are bigger customers in need of support, and it may be lacking in Poland, but of course, there is an international team that can handle issues as well.

We deal with other vendors including Cisco and Fortinet, and we see a trend where more and more companies are implementing a WildFire-type solution into their products.

Fortinet is the market leader in Poland, in part because of their pricing. Another important thing is that if you want to implement a PoC and need a device of any kind, it is readily available from Fortinet. However, with Palo Alto, it cannot be done so quickly.

We have been in contact with Cisco technical support, and it is much easier to contact an engineer than it is with Palo Alto. The Cisco support is really good in Poland.

When it comes to installation and configuration, it is very good. The length of time required for deployment depend on the number of features and how much configuration has to be done. Typically, it takes between one and three weeks.

We also deploy WildFire using VM models so that we can test various solutions for our clients.

Our in-house team is responsible for the deployment, maintenance, and support.

This is an expensive product and the market for Palo Alto in Poland could be much bigger if the pricing was comparable to Fortinet. We have lost a lot of deals to Fortinet over the price issue.

As an example, if somebody is satisfied with Fortinet and they only need to renew their subscription then it is difficult to convince them to try a completely new device at a higher price.

What other advice do I have?

WildFire is always a product that we recommend for our Palo Alto clients because it tracks potential malware in the cloud and it is very important to prevent these types of attacks.

In today's climate with the pandemic, a lot of staff are working offsite and remotely, leading to a surge in internet usage. This makes the work environments prone to various threats, which is one of the reasons that products like WildFire are so important.

Overall, from our point of view, it is a good product that works well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Palo Alto Networks WildFire reviews from users