Palo Alto Networks WildFire Review
The deployment of Wildfire was surprisingly easy but inspection over different protocols needs to be improved.

Valuable Features

Being able to discover malicious files unknown to most AV vendors.

Improvements to My Organization

It has allowed me to stop new attacks before they could gain a foothold in my network.

Room for Improvement

• Inspection over different protocols (not just HTTP/FTP)
  • Inspecting more file types
  • Providing information back to the community that it uses to support its product.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years. However, my current company isn't using the product. I took a different engineering route into the company and I decided to use other protection solutions and not Wildfire.

The deployment of Wildfire was surprisingly easy.

Wildfire itself was a very stable product.

I never had any issues with scalability. When I enabled it, it seemed to work in the environment that the firewall was already servicing.

Great when I was at a large company but average or less than average at a small company.

Overall their support people are better than most tech companies.

There was no solution in this space before Wildfire. Both FireEye and Wildfire came onto the market right around the same time.

It was straightforward as I could, literally, turn on the firewall settings in five minutes or less.

Implementation Team

You really don't need to pay to turn it on. The configuration is very simple.

ROI

There are two levels of Wildfire.

1. The free version which is great, so I would guess there is no ROI on this version
  2. Then there is the subscription version of the service and this is a very affordable yearly subscription per firewall

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Initially, the product doesn't cost anything for the first tier of usage you can prove the product before buying it.

Other Solutions Considered

• FireEye
  • Blue Coat
  • ProofPoint.
  • Even as the more the list of products I look at each year is pretty long.

Other Advice

If you're running Palo Alto firewalls there is no reason not to use it at the free level. Once you have run it for a while at the basic level, you can make an educated decision if it's worth paying for the subscription (it is).

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

NetworkEng896Real User

I administer a set of PA3020's. Wildfire is a protection feature which helps organizations defend against zero day exploits. It's checking hashes of files as they flow through the unit. If the hash observed is unrecognized, it's sent to the PA cloud for analysis. Within minutes of an infected file being released into the wild, the subscription service updates all firewalls subscribing. It's a cost effective must have feature to mitigate todays threat landscape.

08 April 15
Batuhan UsluVendor

Best bit is out of 27000 customers of Palo Alto Networks, you are getting intel from every single PA appliance which resembles to millions of users' data. The time for wait is about to drop to 5min from 15min.

28 October 15