Palo Alto Networks WildFire Review

A custom script is required to put the SSL Decryption certificate into Mozilla Firefox but it is a very comprehensive and secure firewall.

Valuable Features

User identification and the Applipedia are the most useful. The integration of the Applipedia with the application identification at layer seven makes it a very comprehensive, and secure, firewall.

Improvements to My Organization

We have the ability to see what traffic is coming and going in a much deeper and more detailed fashion. We have also found, and stopped, several malware applications before they infected the endpoints.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five months.

During initial testing we were too strict on what was allowed outbound. We ended up needing to open up more broad categories. We also found that several websites do not function well with the SSL Decryption feature. We also found that a custom script is required to put the SSL Decryption certificate into Mozilla Firefox.

No the product has been very stable and reliable.

We implemented it in a smaller environment but, find that the 3000 series has plenty of power and has the ability to grow with us as we provide north-south as well as east-west security between internal environments.

Customer service is very friendly and responsive to any request.

I have found the tech support to be impressive. Support agents are available 24/7, and I have never waited for more than an hour to speak with an agent. I would consider the first team you call to be equivalent to most level two or three engineers.

Previously we used Cisco ASA 5510 and Fortinet. Fortinet was an old version and was phased out due to this. The Cisco ASA was replaced do to the limited capability of the out of box functionality and reporting.

Initial set-up was straightforward and easy. We were able to get both devices on the network and set-up to look at traffic within a few hours on split up time. The products complexity came from the terms and the overall thinking of how the product works.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing Palo Alto we also reviewed Cisco ASA, Fortinet, and Sophos.

Other Advice

The product is straightforward to implement, though if you are looking for a quick implementation, I would suggest bringing in an expert.

2 Comments
Nigel WilliamsonReal UserTOP 5

Nice balanced review

27 May 15
srinivas_kvUser

Could you let me know the bandwidth before and after installation of the device. How much was the reduction in speed. How about performance in VPN ?

03 July 15