Palo alto networks

Palo Alto Networks WildFire Review
It crashes too frequently for a few boxes, but they have the best tech junkies I have worked with.

1,098

Valuable Features:

• App-ID
  • User-ID
  • Ease of deployment and usability
  • Filtering Mechanism like SP3 Engine

Improvements to My Organization:

From a technical perspective this has given us a new high as this is how a technology solution should function. From a sales perspective, we have been able to pitch the solution to new customers as it seems cheap to customers when we bundle the solution, compared to getting each device for individual functions.

Room for Improvement:

• IP SLA tracking
  • GRE tunnel support

I believe these are the major improvements in the pipeline.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for four years.

Deployment Issues:

It crashes too frequently for a few boxes, which could be expected from a new vendor as it evolves. The best part is RMA, as you get the box back quickly if you have it in the contract.

Stability Issues:

No issues encountered.

Scalability Issues:

No issues encountered.

If it is Arrow support, it's pathetic. I wouldn't recommend them. However, if you go directly with the PA team they are the best tech junkies I have worked with.

6/10.

Previous Solutions:

We used to have Netscreen as our favourite, but it went EOL. Being an MSP we have to have expertise with all the devices. Although, Netscreen is our favourite.

Initial Setup:

I would say that this is difficult to answer, as the setup would be adaptable based on the mode you use, and the way the firewall can be configured. If you ask an expert it would be straightforward. If you ask a newbie, it would be not that difficult to configure if you follow the mentioned steps.

Other Advice:

Go forward, this is an amazing device to be implemented if you have the cost to bear.

4 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

We are considering hardware firewalls especially PA200's. What was your bandwidth before and after installation of the PA device. How is the performance in VPN traffic

Like (0)03 July 15
Girish vyas avatar 1433008867?1433008865

There are only few which have VPN terminated directly on the PA with other vendors. On those scenario they work decently. However, there were some odd cases where in relying did not work for some reason. For that we cleared some session and made the device as responder to solve the problem.

Bandwidth of PA 200 is 100M we never required that amount of bandwidth on 200 box so we were good. Please refer the data sheet for more info on specs.

Like (0)03 July 15
Anonymous avatar x30

I meant the internet speed (say from leased line) before installing the device (usually 2mbps or so) and then after installing the device what was the speed? Thanks for the speedy reply

Like (1)03 July 15
Dd1251a9 f7aa 4b25 b0f5 4d5da24948e0 avatar?1446047330

Hi Srinivas, I have Pa200 and with 20 nodes connected I'm getting around 46mgps out of 50mbps line with enabling all the security features activated. Best advice would be reaching out to a local Palo Alto Networks partner and asking for a POC. Let me know if you would need help with this. buslu@paloaltonetworks.com

Like (0)28 October 15