Palo Alto Threat Prevention Review

Easy to install, use, and manage, with extended trial-license options available

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the security of our organization. It protects the LAN and WAN traffic.

We have two boxes that have this solution for threat prevention. Some of our servers also have Palo Alto agents installed on them.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

This solution has more than just the threat prevention by itself. It's also a Firewall and many other components.

The most valuable features are the simplicity, transparency, and overall ease of management.

What needs improvement?

The price of licenses should be lowered to make it less costly to scale our solution.

I would like to see consolidated licensing for on-premises solutions. This would give us all of the features available for the one box.

We have been using this solution for ten years.

This is a stable solution, and we have not had any issues.

For ten years we have had a high-availability network. There have been outages as the result of power, or our network, but nothing that is a result of this solution.

Scalability is not a problem from a technical standpoint. However, the price of this solution makes it hard to scale.

We have approximately one thousand users.

The initial setup was simple, but it's been ten years since then and we have grown. The migration has also been simple and straightforward.

You can have a network with thousands of machines with only a few security rules to migrate, or you can have a network with only a few machines and thousands of security rules that make it difficult to migrate.

If you want to have all of the good features then you have to pay extra for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Security in business is an important issue. There is a difference between the quote and the end price of the end product. Some vendors are impressed with the numbers they see on paper, then they start to use it and compare it and assess the ratio between the quote, security, and final price of the end product. It is important to consider the people who will maintain the solution. For example, if you don't have a large team in your organization, then one person is tasked with several duties, as opposed to having several departments with equal responsibilities. These are all things to consider when it comes to security.

Sometimes, when you have more than one security product running, they fight with each other and it can make things difficult. In the case of this solution, things have been very smooth.

So far, there have been no security issues and we are absolutely happy with Palo Alto Networks.

It is easy to test out a trial version, but there is a problem with that. In my experience, after paying for the solution, it takes time to get to know it. There are complex things that may take half a year to understand how they work. In some cases, it is simple testing at the beginning, but over time you might find problems. With Palo Alto, you can ask for extended trial licenses, which is not something that you get from a lot of vendors.

I have spent a lot of time in IT and I know that there is no such thing as an absolutely perfect solution. This one is easy to use and works well in our organization, but it might not be as suited to another organization. This is a product that I recommend, although it depends on the environment. Every product has pros and cons. Good planning and good testing is the best way to choose the product that best suits you.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.