Pandora FMS Review

A Lightweight monitoring solution that has helped to streamline our processes

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for the deployment of a Linux and Windows mixed environment to keep track of the infrastructure and generate periodical capacity plannings, execution of personalized scripts on remote servers to collect data from in-house applications, and to centralize the monitoring of the whole infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to monitor the whole infrastructure, which allowed us to identify some glitches and adjust the schedules of some tasks to improve the execution of multiple processes. This translated into shortening the time of execution for the daily preconfigured tasks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the WMI integration for the agents, being able to execute personalized scripts, and the default implementation of Tentacle to keep the data transfer secure between agents and servers.

The solution is so lightweight that with only 4GB of ram, it allows keeping track of up to two hundred agents from a single console.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the definition of local Software Agents for the first time in the open-source version, it can become very tedious. However, when using the Enterprise Version, we will be allowed to centralize the administration and deployment from the web console.

We have been using this solution for four months.

I haven't had any stability issues.

The solution is very flexible. It allows you to deploy servers individually, even in remote locations.

We haven't used technical support yet. We deployed the solution using the online documentation.

I used to use different software for my previous job. I didn't switch software, rather I just switched jobs.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It was just a little bit slow because we started with the open-source version.

We implemented this solution in-house.

We moved from having twelve physical servers to only five and reduced the production time drastically.

The open-source version offers 100% functionality and the hardware requirements for a solution like this one are very modest.

I did not evaluate other options, as I had already heard/read about this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a really complete monitoring solution then you should consider this one.