Pandora FMS Review

Provides helpful network insights, with good community support available in Spanish

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for the testing of possible network monitoring scenarios. I have tried the solution but I am still in the testing phase, reading the documentation and training.

How has it helped my organization?

I have it installed in virtual machines and I simulate possible scenarios. In any organization, it is very important to have a notion of what happens in the network. This includes the monitoring of services, applications, and nodes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features in this solution are:

• Large Hispanic community
  • Self-detection system for host or terminals
  • System of alarms or notifications
  • SLA reporting and management system
  • Geolocation
  • Monitoring of virtual environments
  • Agents for different platforms
  • Administration by CLI
  • Intuitive interface

What needs improvement?

I find that this software is resource heavy, and demands a lot of processing capacity.  I would like to see it lightened. The somewhat long configuration means that the start of implementation may be slow.

Nice features to see would be:

• The possibility to make it work without agents.
    • It would be good if it had a long history of occurrences.
    • Notifications via hangouts or google chat.

One year.

According to what I have seen, this solution is stable, but I have still tried it in small scenarios so I cannot give an opinion about large environments.

I notice that it is quite scalable.

I've only talked to the community.

I have used OpenNMS and Zabbix. I switched to Pandora because it is more intuitive and there is more documentation in Spanish.

The initial configuration was simple, without anything special.

The deployment was handled internally.

I work in support and I handle several projects of telephony and VoIP. In this capacity, I need to have insight into my network environments.

It is a personal issue, everyone has different needs.

In choosing this solution I evaluated prices, platforms, the alert management system, alarm system, and reports.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution a lot because it has a very large Hispanic community and the platform looks very friendly. Given the need for organizations to monitor their networks, I find Pandora to be very useful.

Overall, I really like the solution and I will continue training. My advice is to make more documentation available in Spanish.