Pandora FMS Review

SLA reporting and a powerful alert system help us monitor our diverse environment

What is our primary use case?

We use Pandora FMS to monitor both on-premise and Cloud infrastructure, and some KPIs of our application. The SLA reports are simply extraordinary, it's very simple and easy to generate them and see whether the solution is behaving as expected or not.

How has it helped my organization?

Thanks to Pandora FMS, we've been able to adapt to every new monitoring challenge over the past seven years. That's a LOT of time in the industry.

Moreover, its powerful alarm and event systems turned our previous solutions to dust, by being able to escalate incidents easily with a matter of clicks.

What is most valuable?

We use the alert system a lot, with several actions per configured alert. These include actions like sending a Pushover notification, email, or even start a new EC2 instance.

The good thing about this system is the flexibility that provides. There's really no new technology that Pandora can't integrate with.

The SLA reports are just outstanding. It provides a clear vision about the KPIs and its evolution in time.

The official forum is active enough to answer most of the high-end technical questions that you may have. Besides, the documentation is really extensive and provides a lot of examples.

What needs improvement?

Pandora FMS is an overall great monitoring solution, but it does not have a community that is as large as Zabbix or Nagios.

Seven years.

The last two years have been great. They've changed their software release policy for better and improved the overall stability.

I've seen Pandora FMS setups monitoring five thousand unique endpoints without any kind of optimization. That is crazy!

So far we've been able to communicate with the company, and the community through their forums, and we love the support. They do care about good ideas to improve the product, and they are good at providing support to answer most of the questions.

We used Zabbix in the past and deprecated it because its interface lacks usability. The reporting & alerting capabilities were just inferior.

This initial setup is not particularly complex, although I took the official training & certifications, which helped a lot.

We performed the implementation in-house.

We use the Open Source edition, but I've worked with the Enterprise edition in the past. My rule of thumb would be that if you need more than thirty agents, and you lack an automation tool such as Chef or Puppet, you will save a lot of time and money going to the Enterprise edition.

We evaluated Nagios, New Relic, Datadog, and AWS Cloudwatch. All of them were great in certain topics (more than Pandora FMS), but they weren't as good in the general sense, and comparably inflexible. We needed a swiss-army-knife solution for the next ten years, and we made the right choice.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We use the OpenSource version since a long time ago.