Pandora FMS Review

Good manageability, reporting, and licensing, but it should include an ISO image for companies using VPSs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for "remote desktop" via eHorus (integrated into console Pandora FMS), to check connectivity, for database status, and disk drive free space capacity. This solution is very useful for keeping track of «Let's Encrypt» certificates (expiration) for our web blog and its uptime.

How has it helped my organization?

Pandora FMS provides us with a general report (graphical) about all of the connected devices, which helps with planning new stations and tracking them. This solution also supports «IP address management» in an easy way, including an integrated IP calculator. Compatibility with the «Lightweight Directory Access Protocol» reduces the work required to handle our users and roles.

What is most valuable?

Enterprise version is for big business (100 devices or more); we use Community version (GNU General Public License) , both versions let us make own "details", always under our responsibility. Another valuable feature is standards for monitoring, where discrete values in generic situations can be applied to anything with very different needs.

What needs improvement?

Pandora FMS is currently very focused on monitoring so they have left out the issue of cloud deployment. After discussing it with support and in the forums, I have seen that they are working on improving their cloud side, and with the Discovery feature, which is still limited, I'm sure they will accomplish a lot more in the future.

We have been using this solution for more than two years.

This solution is very stable.

The solution provides for full scalability, including a schema for a High Availability Database Cluster.

We have had no need for service, as everything is explained in blog/wiki pages.

I have not previously used a monitoring tool beyond one that we designed in-house.

This initial setup of this solution is no problem. Everything is set up inside an ISO image, burned and installed into the machine. Of course, after installation, it needed to be adapted for our requirements.

We used an in-house team for the deployment.

Growing the solution or migrating to the Enterprise version is easy, and various plans are available -if you have one hundred devices or more-. This is an open-source solution that can be used free of charge (Community edition). Libre Software can be let tasted and tried without compromise, no pressure for buying, and no more worries (we have too many of them).  Both case use same core, Enterprise version include additional plug-in's and there is total support for specialized cases.

There were no other options evaluated before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

There is a community of users at pandorafms.org where you can see errors that other people have experienced, in addition to a blog with technical articles. It is all very useful.