Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review
Enables us to seamlessly distribute applications to users' desktops

What is our primary use case?

It is our primary remote access solution for remote desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

It permits us to control the applications that our users are able to get to, in a seamless manner. We're able to distribute applications to users' desktops, just like those applications are on each user's computer, but they're not.

What is most valuable?

• Easy to install
  • Super stable
  • Easy to manage

What needs improvement?

It's a really good product. There's not a lot that needs improving, and we're on an older version. I imagine the newer versions are better but we have not had a single need to improve anything.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

We have asked for help from tech support and their service was good.

Citrix. We switched because Citrix is complicated and expensive.

We had them assist us with the setup and I think that's important. When rolling out a product like this, the vendor should want to help implement, so it's implemented correctly. We used them to implement it, and that's the way it's been running since we started.

I think the new pricing is a little bit high. If the price was lower, we could use it for many more customers. If there was one improvement to be made to this product, it would be a small-business version, at a much lower price point.

Licensing should always, in my opinion, be on a per-user, per-month basis. I would like to be able to add one user, take one user off. That would be the ideal, to be able to supply this as a service.

Citrix and the native Microsoft Remote Desktop. The latter is very hard it is to install, and makes us mad.

What other advice do I have?

Everything can be improved, so I give it an eight out of 10. It does everything we need it to do, it's stable; with the caveat that there is no perfect solution.

If you're doing a thin-client environment, where you want to publish applications, then of all the products on the market right now, this is the product to use.