Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review

Easy to install agent, publish apps, but doesn't enable me to see what app a user is using

What is our primary use case?

Remote app.

How has it helped my organization?

Enables deployment of remote apps from a central location.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use in publishing apps and installing the agent. The Interface is fairly intuitive after some tinkering. Although I inherited the app only two-thirds deployed, I was able to complete the deployment and service it over the last year without referring to any documentation.

Other valuable features include the ability to set up security groups for accessing certain apps, the ability to add apps easily and centrally without touching the servers they’re hosted on. There are other features which we have not taken advantage of yet, but I’m sure will prove useful.

What needs improvement?

• Customer support
  • Ease of end-user use

Opening a ticket should be available from the actual RAS console. It is cumbersome to go to a portal, hunt around for five minutes for a link to open a ticket, answer questions meant to direct you towards FAQs instead of live support, then fill out information (license #, version #, etc.) which could more easily be supplied by sending a ticket straight from the console with all of that information automatically specified.

Currently in the RD Session Hosts – Sessions section, I can see what server a user is logged into but not what app he is using. Being able to do so would be immensely helpful when a non-technical user is complaining of issues, but I can’t tell which app he is using, and he is actually logged into multiple servers since they serve multiple apps.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

I would rate my experience with tech support as "middling" - difficult to open a ticket, and support is located on the opposite side of the world, so schedules don't mesh.

Work with the vendor, as this is a fairly new product and they want use cases. Deals can be made.

What other advice do I have?

Test extensively, especially with custom-built apps, as these can have issues, though overall the experience is smooth.