Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review
Allows us to publish apps for OS-specific clients, supports single sign-on and MFA protocols

What is our primary use case?

Alternative to Windows RDS (terminal services) supporting internal staff and remote access.

How has it helped my organization?

Simplifies external connections with community-based organizations by allowing us to publish applications to them, accessible by current-generation HTML5 browser or OS-specific client (Windows, Android, iOS), and supporting popular single sign-on and multi-factor authentication protocols.

What is most valuable?

Comparable performance to Citrix for our use case at a significantly lower cost. Straightforward installation and capable management front-end.

What needs improvement?

Improvement is needed in performance monitoring of the client's endpoint, and automatic re-connection of the client in the event of circuit disruptions (this works well generally but can present challenges).

No issues with stability.

None so far, but we plan a major expansion toward the end of 2018.

We have not needed much technical support. We generally find what we need in the provided documentation or the user forums. When we have requested help, the response has been consistent with other vendors of this type (we are not on an expedited service plan).

I have used Citrix in previous organizations with good results but I lacked the budget to acquire Citrix for this implementation.

Setup was straightforward. Our particular use case involved an Active Directory forest involving two data centers and three domains. User authentication against Active Directory was the easiest to set up and validate of any application installed in the last three years.

Pricing is clear and there are relatively few options or other pricing considerations when compared to similar products. Just be sure not to forget the Microsoft licensing that goes along with a Parallels deployment.

Citrix, Windows RDS.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of the trial version so that you can check out its feature set first-hand, get a sense of its performance on your hardware and over your network.