Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review
Robust, provides multiple users with access to multiple programs without lag

What is our primary use case?

We needed to access multiple programs, for multiple users, and it's like a virtual session that does that.

How has it helped my organization?

We would not be able to function without it.

What is most valuable?

It is robust. We have some 75 users using it and it doesn't lag. It's very speedy.

What needs improvement?

One area which I would say needs a lot of improvement: Since I've been here less than a year, I have had to upgrade the system three times. The first time was the major upgrade but they have upgraded twice since, and I think that's too many times in that time span. I'm the only one doing IT, so I have over 75 users that I actually have to touch every time they upgrade, which is a lot of work.

I would roll up the updates in a group, rather than as they come out.

Less than one year.

I encountered an issue with stability once, with licensing. For some odd reason, after I upgraded to the current version, the 15.2, it lost its license, so I had to get a temporary license to get my users up and running. They had to figure out why I couldn't hold on to my current license that I had just bought.

When it's stable, it's stable. I would say 90 to close to 100 percent of the time it's stable, it's right on the mark. When it goes down, since my whole user community uses it, every user in my company is down. When it's working, it's working great and I don't get any phone calls. When it's down, everyone in the company, as I said, is down, they only have email. Every other software package goes through the Parallel, so it's a big impact.

Scalability is pretty good. There's a small delay, but that could be the server, the amount that we're pushing through it. But it's pretty good in scalability.

Tech support seems good, and they seem very accommodating in time. Whatever time I want to work on it, they are there.

Tech support helped me upgrade it to the current version. It was pretty much straightforward.

Pricing is a little steep, but I really couldn't go to anyone else because it is so integrated into our system.

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Call, see if you can speak to three customers who use it and get their opinion. Also get three different quotes, or three similar products, and see how they work.

I would rate it an eight out of 10. As I said, when it's stable it's stable, it's very good. I find in the last year there were just too many upgrades. I still have an upgrade facing me now, and I haven't upgraded the main server because that means I have to go around to all the workstations.