Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Review
Minimizes the man-hours that go into application installation and IT maintenance

What is our primary use case?

We publish applications and our users are scattered across different geographical locations. So we install the client on the end-user's laptop and then we publish their applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The connection is compressed so we don't need a lot of resources to run it.

Also, the ease of use. Initially, before using Parallels, we had to manually install whatever applications we were using. So if I had, for example, five users, and three software programs, I had to install three install applications on each of the five laptops. That took more man-hours, and all my resources would get into it. But with Parallels, I just install it once into one location and the client does the work for me. So it provides ease of use and minimizes the man-hours that go into installation and the maintenance of IT.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is our control. If I want to disable a user I just go to that particular user and disable them. And if I want to publish any application, if there is a new application that I want to publish, it is very easy.

What needs improvement?

They don't have any local support here. It's not that we need it much because for us it is very stable, the upgrades/updates are quite good, and they come at regular intervals. But all the other OEMs in this region have their own local support here, either through the vendor, or in-house. But Parallels, I have never found any local support here.

I think tech support needs to be improved because whatever support I get is through email, so it takes a very long time for them to reply.

Three to five years.

Stability-wise it is quite good, if you give it enough resources to run the software. I have the RAS server and it never crashes, it never goes down by itself, so it is pretty stable. I would say it is quite good, it is doing great.

We haven't had any scalability problems. We initially started with a single server and then we went up to three servers. We upgraded to the latest version, but it did wonders for us. It has never given us any issues as such.

Initially, we were just using the traditional way of installing. We were not even aware that there was a solution in the market. When we did our research we came to know that there is something useful out there, and we went ahead with Parallels.

The initial set up was pretty straightforward. We knew what applications we needed and we knew the platform, so it was pretty straightforward.

It justifies the price.

In terms of licensing, initially when we got the product it was an unlimited licensing strategy. We knew would grow in the coming years. So initially, we took a plan which had no limit. After a year or so the strategy changed and we were being limited to 105 licenses, that was the minimum. So that affected us. If there was flexibility for increasing the number of licenses that would be great because you never know how much you are going to grow in the next year.

To start, we took 20 or 30 licenses and then we went to 70 and now we are at 105. If there was flexibility, that I could grow as much as I need, so I could take 20 more tomorrow, and 30 the next month, that would help. But I don't think that it is the case right now.

When we thought of doing this we looked at other solutions as well but, cost-wise, Parallels was on the positive side, so that is the reason we went ahead with Parallels.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation could be a bit complex because it is not a normal solution. It is not just a plug and play. But once it starts it is pretty easy to manage. The software is not that complicated, it is pretty easy to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10. If I had a local support person to talk to I would definitely give it a 10.