What is most valuable?
- Ease of building service virtualization: Either by recording an existing data flow which can be replayed or by setting up a service simulation based on a WSDL (SOAP) or JSON schemas (REST). The product generates usable templates. Developers do not have to spend much time to set it up.
- Ease of deployment of the virtualized services: Either by graphical user interfaces for manual deployment or using the provided API for automated deployment. The latter is necessary for integrating in an automated deployment pipeline.
- Extensibility of the product in order to customize as and where needed, in case proprietary protocols or message formats are used in the customer's environment.
How has it helped my organization?
- By decoupling less of the available and expensive backend systems, and faster development of the dependent components was reached.
- By simulating systems, many tests can be executed earlier in the continuous delivery pipeline (shift-left principle).
- Simulation of misbehaviour for the service-providing systems made it possible to make service-consuming components more robust.
What needs improvement?
It should have more fine-grained authorization. The authorization is currently role-based, i.e., what one can do.
In addition to that, data-based authorization (with what virtualized services) would be very useful in an environment where multiple teams are using the product.
For how long have I used the solution?
I have used this solution for about five years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
The product is running with minor support; stability is not an issue.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
In the former version, there were some scalability issues but these were resolved rapidly.
How are customer service and technical support?
The technical support is very good, with short lines and short response times from well-skilled technical employees.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
Initially, we were using embedded applications using in-house built solutions. This was well-fitted for unit testing but the higher-level functional testing was difficult. The performance testing needs service providers communicating over the same protocols.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
You should calculate what you need.
What other advice do I have?
Start with the Community Edition which is available. Define your needs first and calculate the benefits.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?
Find out what your peers are saying about Parasoft, Broadcom, Micro Focus and others in Service Virtualization. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.