- The ability to rapidly set up functional test scenarios using WSDL web service descriptions or XSD message specifications
- The ability to quickly make these test scenarios data driven using one of a variety of Data Sources
- The ability to quickly add validation and verification points in these test scenarios
- The ability to add custom validations and actions to these test scenarios using the integrated scripting environment
Improvements to My Organization
As a test consultant, I have been able to deliver high quality automated testing solutions to our clients using SOAtest in a quick manner. For example, I have been able to implement a test suite that automatically generates and executes thousands of test cases directly from formal specifications for a web service validating fixed length messages on a large number of syntactic, semantic and business rules.
Room for Improvement
- The features of SOAtest used for testing (web) applications on user interface level suffice for very basic web applications, but there are better tools on the market.
- The report output could use some work. It contains a lot of technical details which are quite clear to the person or team that implemented the automated tests, but they are not really suited for distribution to, for example, a management team.
Use of Solution
I have been using SOAtest for over four years at the time of writing
As SOAtest is based on Eclipse, it may consume quite a bit of memory, which can lead to performance and stability issues on lower-end systems.
Customer Service and Technical Support
Customer Service: Good to great, although it helps that I happen to know people at Parasoft personally.Technical Support: Good. The ticketing system on the Parasoft website works well and issues are handled swiftly.
Very straightforward. The product is delivered as a single installer file and the wizard guides you through the installation process easily. The tutorial in the manual helps new users with creating their first tests.
Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing
Other Solutions Considered
Some best practices I have learned from my own experience:
- There's a myriad of tools available within SOAtest. Learn to know them and how to use them.
- The possibility for additional scripting is very powerful, but only use it when necessary to avoid overly complex test suites.
Disclosure: The company I work for is a Parasoft partner
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Apr 03 2014
Read White Paper
Download The White Paper to Learn More