Parasoft SOAtest Review

Allowed us to build a large library of repeatable automated tests. The platform can become unstable as the memory usage increases.

What is most valuable?

Automated execution and chaining of test validators is the most valuable feature; it is easily extensible via the built-in custom scripting API.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to build a large library of repeatable automated tests that are able to be quickly executed on demand. This builds a solid foundation for future initiatives expanding into a more continuous integration and the agile methodology adoption.

What needs improvement?

Memory Management suffers when using solutions other than the data repository for managing the test cases.

I have used this solution for about three to four years.

The platform can become unstable as the memory usage increases. For example, we use Excel spreadsheets for managing test cases, so the size of these test cases must be tightly controlled.

Scaling tests beyond a certain point can trigger issues with Memory Management, but good design practices usually indicate a need to break up a test before it would reach that point.

Technical support from Parasoft has been excellent.

The setup was straightforward. It was very easy to set up a test scenario that consumed assets in our web service layer and to run validation against the results. The tool itself allows for some more complex chaining of components within a test scenario, so familiarizing yourself with the tool enough to get more creative in your test setups can be more complex.

If you plan on using a floating-license model, plan on a buffer of at least 10 user tokens between the maximum allocated by your license and the expected usage for the tool.

I looked at SoapUI NG Pro.

What other advice do I have?

Keep your test scenarios small and focused rather than trying to cover an entire web service with one scenario.

1 visitor found this review helpful